Tuesday 7 January 2014

Clock Experiment


This experiment was inspired by Ursus Wehrli, a Swiss artist that takes normal yet slightly chaotic subject matter, and orders it.
I previously experimented with turning something slightly chaotic into something ordered, however I found the subject matter that I started with wasn't particularly chaotic, and it could be argued that it was ordered in a sense. Therefore I took something that could be considered ordered (a clock), and made it chaotic myself (dismantled it).
I could then order the components like Wehrli does.
  


As you can see once i had opened it up there was an array of wires and components. I took apart each piece of the clock, and arranged it in an ordered way. This may look aesthetically pleasing, however the clock no longer works, its purpose has been diminished. Therefore there was never any point to ordering this object except for visual satisfaction.
This poses the question: Why are we always so keen to turn chaos into order?And Is it always necessary?





Once i had finished ordering i decided to take the experiment further. I started playing around with the disassembled parts to create a new ordered object, rather than a plain arrangement of ordered parts. I found this was a more engaging way of representing order evolving from chaos, however it could be seen as creating chaos once again.
I used a hot glue gun to stick the pieces together as it is effective at gluing each material used within the clock.


    Front                                                                                  Back

 I am pleased with the journey and outcome of this experiment as my ideas developed as i went along, and i was able to raise questions and challenge preconceptions. I aim to continue doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment