Wednesday 29 January 2014

Developed Crisp Packet Experiment


 
This is the development from my first experiment with crisp packets, which  I found successful and so proposed to explore the idea further.
I collected crisp packets over the duration of a week and ordered them into sets of four to ensure they would fit into the oven. I melted each set together at the end with matches. 
With each set I left them in the oven for a different amount of time to give different effects. On the flatter looking sets, I sandwiched the packets between two oven trays to prevent the packets from crinkling and curling up. This was because I wanted to create a contrast between the sets of packets that would portray the varied degree of chaos they have endured.
I feel this has been successful. The contrast in texture and appearance between the packets makes the piece eye catching and engaging. I don't think a purely flat piece or vice versa would of had this effect, as it may have appeared slightly dull and boring.
The fact that each set has been melted to a different degree draws the viewer in encouraging them to explore the whole piece.
The initial order of the packets has been removed and taken over by the chaos of melting them into each other. The outcome was beyond my control therefore adding to the chaos of the process. However the outcome could be considered ordered as the packets have created a beautiful piece of artwork that was planned to a certain extent. On the other hand the outcome could be considered chaotic due to the transformation in the crisp packets' appearance, texture, and all round properties.
If I were to do this again I would collect a larger amount of crisp packets, leaving each set in for a recorded time to make the process more ordered. I would then be able to record the whole process in my sketchbook and contrast/analyse each set in more detail, further exploring the effects of the chaos within the oven.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment