Monday 20 January 2014

Melting office equipment

These are some of my most successful experiments.
 
 


I feel this was successful as the burnt holes and unusual sculptural form of the outcome reflects the chaos it endured under the blowtorch. I would like to have melted the lid more to make it less recognisable as a bottle, maybe even meting it all the way down to a liquid. However this could release more harmful fumes. I also like the way the holes are browned around the edges as this adds tone to the object.

 
 





I had intended to melt the pen further than this however large amounts of black smoke came from it whilst it burnt, and so I didn't want to produce too much of this smoke. I am going to experiment with this idea further by exploring how coloured pens react and melt, especially when grouped together.



I found melting these scissors intriguing as I let them burn on their own after they had caught fire. I then blew out the fire before the scissors had fully melted/burnt, leaving part of them still untouched. I feel this was successful as you can see the transition on the scissors between the original object and the melted outcome, and so it shows all the stages between and not just the result. I was also interested in how the melted plastic still had an orange tint to it where it hadn't fully burnt black. This was accentuated by light, as you can see in the photo.
 

















 The first things that melted on these glasses were the plastic lenses, which immediately crackled, bubbled and curled up. The glasses then set light and so I took away the blow torch and let them burn out alone. The black plastic bubbled up and melted together, as you can see in the photo. The fire grew quite big and chaotic on this object and had to be put out with water, which may have effected the outcome as it was cooled very quickly compared to the other objects. However the water restored immediate order to the chaotic fire.


Once I turned the glasses around I found the back very interesting as the original text could still be clearly seen, and appeared to be the most untouched part of the glasses (which was purely a coincidence). I also like the differing textures that can be found on the back, as some parts remain smooth from only being slightly melted, whereas other areas contrast this with a rough bubbly, distorted texture and aesthetic.





No comments:

Post a Comment